Lodgepole Depot MuseumDepot Museum

722 McCall Street, Lodgepole
Hours: Saturday 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Sunday 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
By appointment.
he Lodgepole Depot Museum is located in the former Union Pacific Railroad depot at 722 McCall Street (corner of McCall St. and Bates Blvd.), located one block north of Highway 30 in Lodgepole. It is open for viewing on weekends and by appointment by calling 308-483-5620.  Museum displays include horse buggies, antique furniture, historical clothing, a unique collection of antique clothes irons and bells as well as a large assortment of antique machinery and other items from Lodgepole’s early days. The museum is wheelchair accessible and group tours are available.

depotSioux Army Depot

Highway 30, Northwest of Sidney
With the outbreak of World War II, a military presence once again took a stronghold in the community with the construction and operation of the Sioux Army Depot, constructed in 1942 for storage and handling of tons of military equipment and ammunition. The site covered 36 square miles. The Depot was active for 25 years, from WWII, the Korean conflict, through the Vietnam War and was terminated as an Army post by June 30, 1967. Several of the buildings still exist and now serve as an industrial site. Property is accessible through a driving tour. Located 6 miles west and 2 miles north of Sidney.Above Photo: Over 250 Ammunition Storage Bunkers were built near by. They are still used by local people to store all sorts of things including grain and are locally known as “igloos”.

Christ Episcopal Church

1205 10tth Avenue, Sidney
Built as the original church of Fort Sidney in 1866, this unique Church blends past and present.  Today parishioners worship where Indians and frontiersmen came together in a spirit of love and cooperation.

Golden Link

Interstate 80, West of Sidney

Found six miles west of Sidney, the Golden Link signifies the joining of eastern and western Nebraska. In the fall of 1974, the Golden Link was constructed of a six-inch strip of brass embedded in both lanes of Interstate 80.


Mud Springs Pony Express Station

Mud Springs Road, Dalton
Mud Springs was one of the home stations, a place where riders changed their spent horses for fresh ones, for the short-lived Pony Express. A monument commemorates this era, as well as the incident in 1865 when a group of just 19 men held off a n Indian attack until they were rescued by cavalry troops from Fort Laramie and Fort Mitchell. The Pony Express station is located northwest of Dalton. There is a summer museum operated by the Nebraska State Historical Society. It was a stage, telegraph, and Pony Express Station.

Pony-express-statue-630x469National Pony Express Monument

Exit 59 off Interstate 80, Sidney
National Pony Express Monument is a lasting memorial is a tribute to one of the most dangerous and essential occupations in American history – mail delivery in the wild, wild west.

Lincoln Highway

Highway 30, Lodgepole

Established in 1913 as a memorial to Abraham Lincoln, Highway 30 came through Sidney and Cheyenne County during the 1920’s. The first all-paved, coast -to-coast route later proved to be of prime importance to the economy of the region and continues to serve the area. Original sights from the era still stand: the Sidney American National Bank built in 1889; Brewster Garage, which is now Guy’s Home Haven; and the Lodgepole Handley’s Drug Store, now known as Fraas Sundries that still has the same shelves and working soda fountain. The opera house was built in 1911 as a garage with the opera house on the second floor.

burialmarkerNebraska’s Earliest Documented Burial Historical Marker

This historical marker designates the site where two members of the prehistoric hunter-gatherers known as the Oxbow Complex were interred. The find, discovered in 1992, dates back to about 2500 B.C.

Downtown SidneyHistoric Downtown Sidney

Downtown, Sidney
Twenty-nine of Sidney’s downtown buildings earn spots on the National Register of Historic Places. Sidney is the only city in western Nebraska to have the “Historic District” designation because of the city’s adjoining buildings, which are not interrupted by a new building or an empty lot. Many of the buildings carry the historic decor and architecture of the late 1800’s. Sidney, the oldest western Nebraska community established nearly 20 some years prior to most western Nebraska communities, was the “Capitol” of all of western Nebraska during the frontier days of settlement.Its colorful western lore rivals that of any western frontier town, especially during the Sidney-Deadwood Gold Rush of 1867. This was an era when Sidney’s “front street” which ran along the street adjacent to the Union Pacific Railroad, was dotted with over 80 saloons and numerous gambling halls, boarding houses, brothels and what was then considered as the “World’s First 24-hour Theatre”.

As many as 2,000 gold seekers, adventurers and desperadoes would enter and leave frontier Sidney on any given day. It was the site of many old west shootouts and colorful western lore that earned it the title as “The Toughest Town on the Tracks.” Those traveling by UP coach were even advised to not leave the passenger car and do so only at their own risk when it stopped in Sidney. Tourist today can take a step back in history on a walking tour of downtown Sidney.

Fort Sidney MuseumFort Sidney Complex

1108 – 6th Ave, Sidney NE, NE 69162
Phone: 308-254-2150
Open: The day after memorial Day – Labor Day

Hours: Monday-Friday 9-11 AM & 1-3 PM; Sat & Sun 1-4 PMSpecial Christmas Lamplight Tours Starting the Friday after Thanksgiving and going thru December.

Other times tours by appointment are available – 308-254-4419

The complex consists of the powder house; the married officer’s quarters which houses the Cheyenne County Museum; and the Post Commander’s Home, restored and refurbished with authentic articles of the late 1800’s.  The Museum and the Post Commander’s home are a major attraction for the county,  A special event held at the complex during the holidays  is the  “Old Fashioned” Christmas Celebration.Community organizations adopt rooms in the Post Commander’s Home and the Bachelor Officers’ Quarters and decorate with all the holiday trimmings.  During the Thanksgiving weekend you can enjoy Lamplight Tours with reenactments of a family home setting for the era. Museum at 6th & Jackson Sts; Post Commander’s Home at 1153 6th Ave – Garrison was built to protect railroad workers in the late 1800s. Historical markers give the history of the old railroad town and the north-south trails to the gold fields in the Black Hills.

Boot Hill CemeteryBoot Hill Cemetery

640 Elm Street, Sidney
Sidney’s “original” cemetery, Boot Hill was mentioned for the first time in September 1867. There were believed to be 3500 – 4000 graves at one time. A committee of volunteers has renovated the main section of the cemetery and put in interpretive panels that tell the history of the cemetery. There is also a list on the panels of persons buried there and how they died.

Point of Rocks

Highway 30, East of Potter
Historic Point of Rocks is located near Lodgepole Creek -the longest creek in the world, which runs along east Highway 30 near Potter, Nebraska. Altercations between Indians and the track-laying crews of the railroad occurred there.

Virginia Smith Room

1112 12th Avenue, Sidney
A replica of the long-time Nebraska Congresswoman’s Washington D.C. office and memorabilia is located at the Sidney Public Library.

Pony Express Historic Marker

Highway 30, West of Lodgepole
A marker commemorating the legendary express is located along highway 30 on the way to Lodgepole.